With an open mind, I write about an “ABC Party” today. They never had these celebrations in my college days (at least I never knew about them). An A. B. C. party is a gathering of people wearing Anything But Clothing! It’s a theme party where the guest’s attire is a specific expression and brought into focus. The point of an ABC party is to have all of your guests show up dressed in everyday items such as newspaper, plastic bags, duck tape, feathers, etc., rather than real clothing.
As another “Two-Cent Tuesday” post, I offer suggestions on what to make an outfit from as well as save you money while you are being creative.
Spreading the word
Apparently, to announce an ABC party you need only inform your prospective guests that it IS an ABC party. They know what to do, especially if they are college aged. Since most college students know what this is. The creativity begins in the planning. It is likely that you will see people dressed in inexpensive items such as trash bags, bubble-wrap material, or even painted. I have inclosed a list of items that might be creatively used, just in case you ever find yourself invited to such a party. Good luck adding things to undergarments, leotards or spanks in order to obtain a unique look
Materials to Consider
- Newspaper- fold to pleet, crush, layer
- Plastic bubble wrap- wrap around or form into pattern shape of article of clothing attaching “seams” with clear packing tape. I have even seen pink wrap, wouldn’t that be cool?
- Feathers, coins, buttons, beaded necklaces, socks, envelopes collect items and hot glue to swim suit for your theme
- Sheets- you have heard of a “toga” right?
- Duct tape is available in decorative colors and prints now-a-days. I do not recommend attaching to your skin, however. Double tape back-to-back then wrap/form
- Christmas Lights can be attached to colored plastic wrap. I have seen green cellophane- you could look like a Christmas tree.
- Large canvas- I can “picture” two put together as a sort of walking bill-board
- Burlap sacks- large potato bags, gift bags, empty snack bags, empty juice boxes, wrapping paper
- Beer boxes, soda boxes, pizza boxes, shoe boxes, cereal boxes- cut or tape together
- Deck of cards or Uno game cards- attached to one piece suit
- Curtains- from a window or a shower
- Body paint- I do not recommend spray paint- let’s be smart here!
- Large cardboard boxes- from a television or appliance
- Plastic bags can be crocheted, braided or attached together with tape
- Venetian Blinds, a bit hard to sit in but still covers a large area
- Hawian grass skirt or something made to look like one (plastic bags)
- Aluminum foil (watch the sharp edges) candy wrappers
- Towels or a decorated robe
- Fabric from a table cloth or pillow case
- Rugs or place mats
- Crepe paper streamers, balloons, ribbon
- Wrapping paper can be laminated or taped with clear tape to reinforce for strength and durability
- Decorative papers from magazines, posters, letters, wall paper
- Selected board games or Twister “board” which is a large plastic material
- Faux animal furs from fabric store or decorative rugs
- Sleeping bag or blanket
- Tarps can be tied with rope or large bungee cord
- Egg crate mattress pad
- CD / DVD covers can be attached together with hot glue
- Hammock or bed spread
- Deflated pool raft or inflated life-preserver vest
- Car window shield shade- cover length very well
- Lamp shade- could make a cute skirt
- Fabric made from woven plant leaf,actual food or other material
- Hunting vest
- Couch cushions- tie them together
- Cloth napkins or connected bandanas
- Yoga mats
- Soft luggage
- Take a trip to the local thrift store to see what can be recycled or repurposed into clothing
- What do you have round the house to convert into clothing for an ABC party?