Welcome to a new year of posts with the focus on CREATIVITY.
Club Creative Studio has made creative business goals each year. They have been expressed in a visual way and used as an every-day display for the entire year. This is a low-cost creative activity. It is a tradition that is also a type of visual communication. By creating a poster (vision board), my focus on goals is always right in front of me, in a colorful way. I am reminded of the importance of them each time I look at the poster. It’s great to visualize goals, a poster board creation can serve as a prompt to keep you on track or inspire you to reach higher to obtain them. Try to make one for yourself, if you are motivated by this post.
A vision board is a creative way that anyone can express their vision of the future in poster form and keep a focus on where you want your efforts to lead you.
Ten Suggestions For Planning Your Board
1. Decide when you want to have your poster complete. Plan accordingly so that you have enough time to finish your project. This is no time to procrastinate because your purpose of the whole creative exercise is to commit to your wants and needs. Make this a priority so that you can have success right away in completing your poster and use it as inspiration as soon as possible. A good time to aim for completion is at the start of a new year or land-mark event. It may take some time to gather cut materials, and construct it so plan ahead if possible.
2. Use old magazine cut outs, photos, inspirational quotes, written journal thoughts, computer software or scrapbook materials or a decorated plain piece of paper to creatively organize and decorate your poster board or foam core base. It can be made in any size or shape. Keep in mind however, that the larger your base board, the longer it will take to cover and the more material you will need to do so.
3. Use a key focus word or short phrase (sort of like a title) to aid as a theme for your poster creation. This will give your board an over-all theme and make it easy to recall your goals at a quick glance no matter how detailed your other information on the board is.
4. Take advantage of using color or mixed media in our board to add variety and uniqueness. If it is eye-catching and generally attractive, you will find yourself looking at it more often. This is key to using it to your advantage and bringing your goals to the forefront of your mind.
5. Plan to review your resolutions, habits, motivations, and goals daily. Place it in plain view so that you see it everyday and often.
6. Allow for space to add to your lists on the front or the back of your board. One year, I wrote many of my accomplishments on the back of one board, making that side just as important as the front! Maybe your “buzz word” can be best serve you if it is repeated several times in the same poster. Consider making up your own power word by combining two or more words together like my example of the words CAN and FANTASTIC to combine into: “CANTASTIC”.
7. Vow to make a new board each year and keep the old boards as reminders of past success if you have the space.
8. Encourage others to create with you and share your goals. It is fun to share supplies, gather and celebrate your journey plans.
9. Keep your friends accountable for your goals and ask for help and support from them when you need it.
10. Knowledge is Power. Use the spirit of creativity to invite others to make their own boards, and tell how they are part of your life and how they serve you. Promote your success.
Have we inspired you to take some time to make a visual board with your goals? Have a great time creating and a great time reaching those milestones in the New Year 2013!
We welcome you to visit our website as we share creativity and you can see for yourself how the goals on my vision board have been incorporated into creative art!
We also welcome you to follow this blog and check back often as we start a new year of sharing on the topic of CREATIVITY.